Day 89, “All The President’s Men”
“We count the days to ensure they’re numbered!”
We are nearing the end of Donald Trump’s first 100 days in office.
Around now, we had anticipated writing about Donald Trump’s about-face, one that would fit perfectly into the media-produced narrative of this presidency. A couple headlines regaling the American people with some heroic or presidential accomplishment might be accompanied by a bevy of broadcast pundits gushing over Mr. Trump’s “unexpected turn,” how FINALLY, America would have in Donald Trump a president.
Despite a two-year trend towards normalizing a very ‘unpresidented’ campaign season, election, and candidate, the first 100 days is rounding out with a very bleak view of an illegitimate president and the damage he has already caused.
Jon Ossoff Finishes First in Georgia Special Election, Still Headed to Run-Off
Democrat Jon Ossoff easily won the most votes in the special election held in Georgia on Tuesday April 18, 2017 for the Congressional seat left vacant by Tom Price (R-Ga), who was tapped by the Trump administration to serve as the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
The district, Georgia’s 6th, is a GOP-dominated area that was supposed to be a safe bet for Republicans. That being said, with 48.1% of the vote, Ossoff fell just short of the 50% threshold required to win the election outright. He will face off against the Republican challenged Karen Handel on June 20th in a run-off election to determine who will win the seat. Nate Silver over at FiveThirtyEight did a great breakdown of what the race results mean.
- Rob Quist (Democrat) is running for Congress in Montana. The special election is being held May 25.
- Susan Platt is the only female Democrat running for public office in a statewide race in 2017. She is running for Lieutenant Governor in the State of Virginia, and she deserves your support. Bros4America is dedicated to supporting women in politics and leadership.
Russian Election Interference 411
Today, in Conflicts of Interest and International Tension News:
From ThinkProgress: Chinese president’s trip to Mar-a-Lago coincided with Ivanka Trump receiving new Chinese trademarks.
- Also from TP: Trump seems confused about who is in charge of North Korea.
- On second thought, all matters North Korean in nature have proven to be an escalating disaster. With their firing of test missiles and a carefully placed artillery that has effectively held South Korea and the U.S. hostage, there is no real clear solution ahead. (Huffington Post)
- Trump placed a phone call to the Turkish President Erdogan that is a perfect example of how messy of an ethical quandary we have found ourselves in with this administration. (Huffington Post)